These lunchbox recipes were provided to us by local primary school students who took part in our annual Grow Your Own Lunchbox Challenge, held at the market every November. See our gallery of pics from last year’s Challenge here.
MAIN ARM RICE PAPER ROLLS
- 120g rice noodles, boiled and chopped.
- Rice paper
- 4 free range eggs, whisked with a dash of tamari or soy sauce, pan fried and cut into long strips.
- 3 cucumbers, cut into long strips
- 2 capsicum, sliced thin and long
- 1 zucchini sliced thin and drizzled with tamari (or soy sauce)
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 fancy lettuce, pulled into long pieces
- 2 big handfuls or coriander
- 1 big handful of mint
- 1 beetroot, grated
Submerge 1 rice paper in water for 10 seconds
Place a small amount of each ingredient at the bottom of the rice paper horizontally, starting with the rice noodles then egg followed by veggies then herbs on top
Roll up, tuck in sides and roll to the end.
For dipping sauce:
Combine 1 crushed garlic clove, juice of 1 lime, 1 tbs honey, 2 tbs fish sauce and 1 finely chopped chilli (optional) in a jar. Shake well and pour into a small leakproof container.
EGG AND SPINACH MUFFINS (Wilsons Creek Public)
- 6 free range eggs
- Puff pastry (2 sheets cut into quarters)
- Milk (150 ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach (10 large leaves)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Handful of cherry tomatoes chopped in hald
- Chop up the spinach into 3-4 cm widths. Place in a glass/microwave container with some water and cook for 4-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain water and leave to cool down.
- In a large bowl beat eggs until smooth, add milk, salt and pepper then whisk.
- Add the wilted spinach and crushed garlic and mix.
- Grease the muffin tray and place a 1/4 of the puff pastry sheet into the muffin tray, cut any excess puff pastry off.
- Spoon in the egg and spinach mix till just under the level of the tray. Add 2-3 cherry tomato halves to the top and push into the mix.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes in a fan forced oven at 220 degrees Celsius. Check muffins and let cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
MULBERRY MUESLI BARS
(Main Arm Public)
• 2 cups Mulberries (or other berries)
• 1 grated apple
• 4 cups of mix:wholmeal spelt, activated buckweat,coconut,chia seeds,pepitas,suflower seeds,rolled oats and quinoa
• 250 grams of cultured butter from Nimbin Valley Dairy or Cheeses Loves You (Mullumbimby)
• 2 cups of honey
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
Melt butter and ¾ of the honey on low heat,mix it with the dry ingedients
pack 2/3 of this mix in a lined baking tin,
bake at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes
while this is baking, cook the mullberries until soft, add the chia seeds and honey.
When the base is done, spread the fruit mix over and then
cover with the remaining crumble mix
bake again until golden brown.
Cool down and chill in the fridge before cutting.